Finlason Partnership’s is delighted to have our recent work at St Vincent de Paul Roman Catholic Church, Liverpool be published in the July / August edition of Church Building & Heritage Review.
The Church of St Vincent De Paul is an early Victorian Church and stands on a corner of St James Street and Hardy Street. The foundation stone of the church was laid on 6 April 1856 by Bishop Goss. The building which was designed by E. Welby Pugin, was opened on 26 August 1857. It replaced a wooden shed in Norfolk Street and the entire cost of it was paid off that year.
The Church of St Vincent De Paul was very important to the large Irish population that migrated to Liverpool in the 19th century and who settled in Toxteth because of its closeness to the docks and to employment.
The conservation work to restore the Bellcote involved complex temporary works. This included the complete stripping of the lead covering and removal of the decorative cast iron panels.
The supporting Honduras mahogany frame was found to be in almost perfect order once the failed lead ‘flech’ has been removed. This was stained after the detailed reconstruction of the highly elaborate lead work. The removal and reinstatement of the supporting stone work was challenging. This involved the deep drilling of new stainless steel rods and new stainless steel support framework using complex and detailed conservation techniques of repair.
The works were jointly funded by the Client, Archdiocese of Liverpool (LACE) and English Heritage (EH) under the Historic Buildings, Monuments and Designed Landscapes (HBMDL) grant scheme.
A subsequent phase of urgent works involved the repair of the highly elaborate stone work to the West window below the Bellcote.
A link to Church Building & Heritage Review website is provided below along with a link to FPL’s portfolio page for other Listed Building & Conservation projects;